Thursday, August 1, 2013

Baked Chicken with Mushroom, Onion Gravy

This week I was craving a dish I haven't had in years, maybe even a decade, that my mom use to make all the time when we were kids.

I wasn't even sure what it was called but it's a baked gravy chicken. So I picked up the phone and called my mom - the Queen B of cooking in my book!!! She knew what I was talking about and told me how to make it and let me tell you - OMG SIMPLE! I stopped by the grocery and picked up the 3 items I needed that night to make it this dish. Super cheap too!

I am sure you can find very similar if not this exact recipe somewhere on the web or in a recipe book. I am no way taking credit for it as my own, but definitely wanted to share it. Plus I thought - What a GREAT recipe to by my 1st blog recipe, one from my childhood that I still love today!

So I am calling this Baked Chicken with Mushroom, Onion Gravy - YUMMY!




Total Time:
Prep Time: 5 minutes (seriously! - but might need more time if your oven is slow to heat up)
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes

Ingredients:
4 Boneless Chicken Breasts (you can use bone-in but definitely add more time in the oven)
1 can (10.75 oz) Campbells Cream of Mushroom (generic would be fine too!)
1 can (10.75 oz) Campbell's Cream of Chicken (generic would be fine too!)
1 packet Lipton's Recipe Secrets Onion Soup & Dip Mix (generic would be fine too!)
salt, pepper, & dried oregano to taste

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.

Place chicken breasts into an oven safe casserole dish. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and oregano to taste. (I added the oregano from what my mom told me - I am a HUGE herbs fan and decided that it needed it!)

In a bowl combine the cream of mushroom, cream of chicken and packet of the onion soup & dip mix. Pour mushroom, onion gravy mixture over chicken and then spread evenly across all chicken breasts.

***Sorry for the shadows - I'm new to all of this so definitely still learning BUT I promise they will get better!

Cover with aluminum foil (or a lid if your dish has one) and put into oven for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes remove foil (or lid) and cook for an additional 20 minutes.

Bring out of oven and let it sit for a few minutes so the gravy can set just a bit.

Then serve with 2 of your favorite sides - I went with a red potato mash and sauteed zucchini. Don't forget to ladle some of the AWESOME gravy onto the chicken. Not to mention mixing it in with the mash potatoes - hello YUMMY!


ENJOY!!!!

Cost Breakdown:
$5.66 - Chicken Breasts (Publix had BOGO Chicken Breasts and I stocked up!)
$1.34 - Cream of Chicken (Publix 3 for $4 right now)
$1.33 - Cream of Mushroom (Publix 3 for $4 right now)
$0.55 - Onion Soup Mix (Publix - Buy 2 boxes $1 off coupon & 2 packets per box)
$0.00 - Salt, Pepper & Oregano (already had)
$8.88 - TOTAL ($2.22 Per Person!)

Talk about a super cheap meal for 4 people! I try to take advantage of great sales like BOGO chicken breasts and just freeze them individually so I can take out as many as I need. We just moved so I got lucky on the soups being on sale but normally when those go on sale and I stock up with a coupon too so this could have been even cheaper with a bit more planning.

Side Note - These chicken breasts were so big that it's actually going to feed 5 people - 3 of us ate last night and then me and my husband are having leftovers! :) That makes the price per person $1.78 - WHOOP!


If you have any questions don't forget to EMAIL IT TO ME! 







No comments:

Post a Comment