Monday, August 5, 2013

My Solution to Drowning in Spices

The 1st step in identifying you have a problem is admitting to the problem - we've all heard this SOO:

Hello, my name is Meghan and I have a problem - I LOVE spices and have too many and it's a COMPLETE MESS! 

Okay I feel better. But honestly I have entirely too many spices. Last summer when I moved out of my apartment with my sister I filled an entire canvas bag from an entire little, 2- shelf cabinet I filled with spices at our apartment.

When I moved in with my brother-in-law I kept them in the canvas bag and only brought out ones when I needed them as they already had a bunch there. I was embarrassed actually by how many I had and didn't want him to think I was was the future crazy sister-in-law! lol!

Then my husband and I moved into our new place and I had to use all of my spices again. Problem - no where to put them by the cooking area. So the spices continued to sit in the canvas bag - taking out a few and cluttering up near the stove. This was not going to work!

Then a picture from pinterest popped into my head - magnetic tins on a medal board inside a cabinet (from Redesigned by M). I could do this but on my fridge!  So I started shopping online -WOW these things aren't cheap!

Then I found some at IKEA in 4oz tins (finally a decent size and not these tiny 2 oz things I was seeing) that were $4.99 for a set of 3. Still not super cheap but the best I was able to find. I knew I was going to IKEA in 2 weeks, I mean I had gone a year with the canvas bag, what's 2 more weeks?

***NOTE: I went to find these online - Grundtal Containers - and they were $7.99 for a set of 3. I checked my receipt and I paid $4.99. I do remember seeing both prices at IKEA and took from the cheaper marked ones. Not sure if these are going up because they are becoming more popular. 

6 sets came home with us (probably should have gotten 8 now but hey 18 total tins is still great!)

I pulled out my label maker and dumped in the spices - okay first off I have to mention that I went through them and threw A LOT away that was expired as you can probably image but that's okay, I had too many to begin with. Plus if I haven't used it in a year do I need it? It's like the closet cleaning out rule (if you haven't heard of it trust me it will be a post I am sure in the future, stay tuned!)

Today I have what I call "Kitchen Art" on my fridge - my Spice Tins are all neat, in alphabetical order and labeled. It's soo easy to find the spices that I use all the time right next to the stove. It's not only handy but pretty to look at too! The others (because you know 18 spices didn't fill up a canvas bag) are neatly in the pantry on a lazy-susan to have better access.



Everyone that has been over to my house since I have completed it has committed on it - which makes me feel great I can't help it!

Remember if you have any questions, leave it below or Email It To Me!


Cost Breakdown:
$29.94 - Magnetic Tins
$0 - Clear Labels (already owned)
$29.94 - TOTAL





No comments:

Post a Comment