Sunday, September 15, 2013

Staying Happy Together in a New Way!

We are 5 months into our marriage and the pounds show it! We've been happy and its starting to show, okay really showing. Haha

Last weekend I was looking at running races in town and decided on a 1/2 marathon on December 29th. I am already signed up for a 1/2 on February 23rd but I wanted something sooner. What I've discovered is I have a hard time working out just to work out - I need something to train for. 

I took a long shot and simply asked my husband if he wanted to join me and run and train for a 1/2 marathon in December - it was a long shot because not only is he not a runner, he hates running too. I figured he would say no but thought what the heck. 

He said Sure right away! 

I had to ask him Really? twice to make sure I heard him correctly. He totally made my day by agreeing to do this with me. I haven't signed us up as I want to go to the local running shop to sign us up for the race instead of online.  

This past Friday we ran for the first time in months. I use the word running very loosely as it was a slow jog really. We did 3.15 miles but it was 1 minute run/jog, 30 seconds walk. I wanted to start with something that wouldn't be discouraging.  

Today our legs are heavy and tight - talk about being out of shape! Today I want to get back out there and go at it again. As my husband said the hardest part about running is starting. Isn't that the truth! 

We have 3 weeks to get ready and feel comfortable with 3 miles. We are going to follow the Hal Higon's 1/2 Marathon Novice 2 Training Program. It's a 12 week program, so back up 12 weeks from December 29th and the week of October 7th is our start date. It starts fast and you better be good with 3 miles so here we go. 

I'm happy we will be doing this together. We both need to lose weight and get back into shape and this is a great way to do it, especially together. Not to mention I feel better when I'm active and I know he does too so it will continue our happiness just in a new exciting way! :)

I'll keep you updated. 

No comments:

Post a Comment