Monday, September 30, 2013

Healthy Twist on a Classic Favorite Dip

It's football season and dips are back! The bad part about dips - they can be full of fat and calories. Oh but they are soo yummy!

My weakness, downfall and guilty pleasure is dips! I love dips and I can't help it! Especially a really yummy dip, but heck Chips and salsa is one that I can't keep my hands out of so I think it's just all dips for me.

Well it was tailgating again this Sunday and I needed a new dip. I wanted something easy, cheap but most importantly tasty. I knew I had some low-fat sour cream left and a packet of Lipton' Onion Soup Mix and wondered if I bought some non-fat Greek plain yogurt and mixed that in would it work? A low-fat onion dip, could it be possible?

Saturday night I whipped it up, figured it would need a few hours to set up with the yogurt and over night would be perfect - it allows me to swing by the store in the morning if it was a flop. What turned out was amazing and honestly you couldn't tell it was low-fat at all! Maybe if the full fat was next to it and you tried them back to back, maybe. Delicious!

I was so proud of myself for putting this healthier twist on a classic and favorite dip. I definitely knew I had to share this recipe with you guys!


Healthier Twist on Onion Dip

Total Time:
Prep Time - 5 Minutes
Chilling Time - 3 hours minimum, overnight is best

Ingredients:
10.5 ounces plain non-fat Greek yogurt (2 small individual cups)
2/3 cup low-fat sour cream
1 packet Lipton's Onion Soup Mix
*You can add/subtract the sour cream/yogurt to your liking and I am sure it would come out just as yummy!

Directions:
1.) Pour all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until fully integrated together.
2.) Pour mixture into serving container & cover with lid or plastic wrap.
3.) Place in refrigerator for 3-8 hours.
4.) Serve and enjoy!

I served the dip with both plain low-fat Ruffles chips and Garden Salsa Sun Chips. I have to say the Garden Salsa chips are AMAZING! They aren't low-fat like the Ruffles but they are made with real corn and whole grains and have lower sodium than most chips, even some popcorn so they aren't too bad for you in regards to a chip.


Next football game- trust me this will be a crowd pleaser! ENJOY!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds yummy! I bet it would be good on veggies too - carrots, celery, etc.

    ReplyDelete