Monday, July 22, 2013

A functional home office - Is it possible?

Since our move it has become apparent - We NEED an office space! Computers, printer, magazines galore (OMG we need some organization with that all by itself!), office supplies - tape, stapler, paper, pens, scissors, etc, and just files we need to keep. In other words a whole bunch of crap that needs a home.

The last time I had a desk was in grade school and it was used for home work - kinda - I was more of a floor girl back then. The only references I have now is my work desk and the hours of time I've given towards online blogs, online stores and pinterest. 

How do I make a functional HOME Office? I have a cube a work that I think I have done a really nice job organizing and making functional so that is a start.  You can be the judge though. Yes that is my exercise ball that I use for a chair (not too much lately though - that's for another blog). 



The problem with all this online window shopping - ARE YOU SERIOUS WITH THESE HOME OFFICES? Everything I see is straight out of a magazine! I mean how is that functional? Trust me they are beautiful and something I look at and want but I have to be realistic - if it's going to be functional, it can't be that pretty! 



So the question becomes what is practical for me? for us? 

To start we already have a desk but it will need some work.  My awesome in-laws (NO that's not a brownie-points plug, they really are and I feel lucky to say that!) gave us 2 old filing cabinets - they are brown, old and definitely in need of a face life but in really good condition. Also they gave us this beautiful piece of wood - it is a front door that never had the holes cut for the knob and lock so it's a solid wood piece. The best part is it's all free and going to be functional! 

We also already have this extra chair from IKEA that my husband had in his apartment in Charlotte, NC for the little built-in desk so no expense there either. SCORE! 

The next project begin - Our Home Office! :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment